[RFC] RandR 1.3 properties

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Fri Nov 7 10:58:55 PST 2008

On Nov 07, 08 19:44:07 +0100, Maarten Maathuis wrote:
> Perhaps now would be the time to standardise on a beheaviour, my
> personal opinion is that, the
> user should see something that represents the connectors on the back
> of their computer. Anything else should become a property of that
> connector (since it's automatic in 99% of the cases). Was there any
> good reason in that discussion to do otherwise?

The discussion was rather length and technical, but there are use cases
where you want to drive the analog pins of e.g. and DVI-I connector
differently from the digital pins. That's not possible if outputs and
connectors are mapped 1:1.

But why do you insist on standardized names? As long as the names
resemble something user can understand, the exact names shouldn't
matter. Selecting outputs by properties (connector or signal type) might
be something interesting for generalized scripts.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          mat at mshopf.de