[RFC] RandR 1.3 panning support

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Fri Nov 7 10:55:26 PST 2008

This is my first attempt at at panning support for RandR 1.3. It
basically adds two new requests, one for getting the panning
configuration, and one for setting it.

Changing CRTC and/or screen size might invalidate the panning
configuration, currently the spec is written that behavior is undefined
in these cases. I think the implementation can be made to safely modify
the panning regions, but I'd like to change wording only if the
implementation shows that this is indeed possible.

I think the current configuration parameters allow for all potential use
cases, but I might have forgotten something.

Most of the implementation would live in the Xserver, however, as CRTCs
have to be updated frequently, we might want to add a shortcut path for
driver that want to support that. Otherwise it would be up to the driver
to determine that except for the viewport origin nothing has changed.
AFAICS this is already possible with the current API, but adding the
shortcut path would greatly simplify the driver path.

Please comment.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __