Intel 915GM dual screen (1280x1024 and 1024x768)

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 05:46:05 PST 2008

Hi,
I'm running Fedora 9 and Fedora 10 Linux (prerelase) on IBM R52 laptop
with Intel 915GM video chip.

I'm now using only one monitor - external 19" Samsung, but I would
like if possible to also use laptop's screen.

Is it possible to setup dual screen with external moninitor as main
monitor with resolution of 1280x1024 and laptop's monitor as secundary
monitor (1024x768).
I have been trying this using xrandr and also with configuring
xorg.conf but with no success :(

If got the logic right I need one virtual screen with size of
2304x1024 (1280+1024). Laptop would be left to the main 19" external
monitor so I need to have main monitor use offset of 1024 pixels. Have
I made some wrong conclusions?

One thing is really puzzling me - and that is maximal virtual screen I
see from xrandr output:

Screen 0: minimum 320x200, current 1280x1024, maximum 2048x1024

So is it even possible to do dual screen with these resolutions on
Intel 915GM? Why? How?

Cheers,
Valent.

--