LBX? or faster remote X?

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Nov 5 10:48:41 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 10:27 +0100, walter harms wrote:

> Bob Tracy schrieb:
> > On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 10:37:43AM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> >> Keith & Jim's 2003 Usenix paper suggests ssh with compression beats LBX
> >> in most cases:
> >> 	http://keithp.com/~keithp/talks/usenix2003/
> >
> > They lie, *especially* for slow links.  However, NX is a vastly
> > superior alternative to consider: it's actually usable over modem
> > connections.  You won't miss LBX.

No, I think we showed pretty conclusively ssh -C was almost always
faster than lbx, at least for the desktop of that era.

I'd love to see someone retake those measurements again, though.  I
*strongly* suspect some of the current toolkits are suffering from bugs
that cause unneeded round trips.  Such performance work is always
fruitful.
                      - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>