LBX? or faster remote X?

François-Denis Gonthier neumann at lostwebsite.net
Tue Nov 4 10:30:21 PST 2008

"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed at reedmedia.net> writes:

> I don't see lbxproxy listed in the X.org 7.4 release. But it is in 7.3.
> What is its status?
>
> I found docs online about LBX, but most are very old.
>
> xdpyinfo doesn't show any LBX extension for me (but I read online that
> recent X servers include it by default).

I think even I can safely say that LBX is considered to be deprecated.
Tests [1] have shown that it produces little benefit over an SSH
tunnel with compression enabled.

> Before I attempt to rebuild Xorg with LBX, please let me know if this is
> worth my time.
>
> Any alternatives?
>
> In my case, I am trying to view hundred page PDFs over a 980 to 1361
> KB/second connection over a 802.11 wireless network. It is way too slow.
> I guess a real alternative instead of remote X is to use network file
> system and actually run the X client on my local X server.

I have not tried LBX but I must say that SSH compression does improve
performance noticably.

F-D

[1] http://keithp.com/~keithp/talks/usenix2003/html/net.html