how to set CFLAGS variable for compiling Xorg

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Nov 4 08:44:17 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 16:28 +0100, ludo wrote:
> What is the correct way for passing additionnal parameters to gcc from
> make ?

As Joel points out, you can resolve this by setting flags at configure
time.

But it's still awfully rude of the Makefiles to use CFLAGS for internal
purposes so that the user can't augment things on the make command line.
It wouldn't be a big effort to fix this, (just change the Makefiles to
use something like MYCFLAGS instead of CFLAGS). But the change could be
applied to many xorg modules.

I run into this problem occasionally and have been hoping to see it get
fixed at some point, (but I've been too lazy to do it myself so far so I
guess I don't get to complain too loudly).

-Carl