Composite WM and events

Quentin Carbonneaux qcarbonneaux at gmail.com
Mon May 26 13:39:07 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm interested in composite WM, I understood the main behavior of the
XComposite extension but one question remains.
If I redirect a window with this extension without updating the root window
with the contents of the window concerned, how can the application be
informed when that the user clicked on a button or typed a char on his
keyboard since these events are sent to the only window available on screen
: the root win.
Moreover, in a composite WM I think Xlib functions which aim to manage the
focus, for instance, cannot be used, so is it the role of the WM to do all
this work ?

Thank you for your answers.