[ANNOUNCE] xinit 1.0.9

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Sun May 25 15:55:19 PDT 2008

On May 25, 2008, at 09:44, Julien Cristau wrote:

> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 09:35:41 -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>
>> So... why does xserverrc start the server as :0 if you start it as '/
>> path/to/xserverrc :1' ?
>
> Because the xserverrc doesn't expect any arguments.
> It contains
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/bin/X11/X -nolisten tcp
>
> and I don't remember ever changing it.

Well... how'd it get there?  It's not installed with the xinit
package.  Is it provided by your distribution?  In fact, doesn't it
seem odd that just adding the display argument should cause you to no
longer '-nolisten tcp' ... ie:

xinit       # results in ':0 -nolisten tcp'
xinit -- :1 # results in ':1'

That seems like broken behavior to me.

>> That sounds like a bug with the xserverrc to me
>> rather than startx...  I would consider it a bug (or atleast obscure,
>> poorly defined behavior) that startx switched to using /usr/X11/bin/X
>> rather than ~/.xserverrc if all you did was give it command line
>> options.
>>
> That's been its behavior forever afaik.  And that's also what I
> understand from the manpage.

Funny, I get the exact opposite understanding from the man page.  I
don't see anywhere in there that xserverrc should ignore command line
options... in fact, it makes me cringe that it would ignore them...
but nothing about the X11 startup is "clean", so who am I to argue...
but for the sake of backwards compatibility, ...

--Jeremy