Intel EXA acceleration

Lukas Hejtmanek xhejtman at ics.muni.cz
Sun May 25 12:08:03 PDT 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 08:52:49PM +0200, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> I still need to use MigrationHeuristics Greedy to have virtual desktop
> switching fast. In the EXA man page, there is stated that this option should
> not be needed. Does anybody care? I'm open to help investigation as much as
> possible.
>
> I have Ubuntu/unstable on x86_64. I use complete Xorg distribution from
> git/master branch. I do not use compiz or any compositon manager (including
> the Xserver one).

Update:
without greedy migration, it looks like firefox and other applications make
competition on migration. If I switch desktop with firefox to another desktop
with application (psi IM client), one can see empty windows that is filled
after while. If I switch to the desktop with terminals only, it does not
happen. It also does not happen if I switch to firefox but do not touch
firefox at all (no scrolling, no clicking on url and so on). But if the
firefox needs some resources and drawing, on desktop switches I can see empty
windows first.

The sysprof tool point that most CPU greedy function is exaoffscreenalloc but
it also looks like sysprof is currently broken and shows spurrious call tree..

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek