External monitor does not work unless connected at boot

Agustin Lobo aloboaleu at gmail.com
Thu May 22 23:26:42 PDT 2008

Peter,

If I look to the hardware info under winxp, I have
Mobile Intel 945 GM Express Chipset Family
If I do sudo ddcprobe, I get
Intel 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Accelerated VGA BIOS

But I think that ubuntu hardy uses driver i810 for
intel 945 (don't know how to make sure though)

Should I still try i810switch or am I going to screw up my system?
What did you do to adapt it for the 945 chipset? Also, is this
likely to solve the second problem (very reduced brightness in
the laptop screen when the external display is on)?

Thanks

Agus

Peter Skensved wrote:
>   What video card is in your laptop ? If it is an intel i810 based
> chipset then you may want to google for i810switch . It allows you
> to toggle the external video on or off. I had to hack it slightly
> to get it to support the 945 chipset but it works for me.
>                                      peter
> ----
>
> Peter Skensved                          Email : peter at SNO.Phy.QueensU.CA
> Dept. of Physics,                       Phone:  (613) 533-2676
> Queen's University,                     Fax:    (613) 533-6813
> Kingston, Ontario,
> Canada

Original message to xorg:

--
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
email: Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster