window resize poor performance

Miguel Angel Alvarez maacruz at gmail.com
Tue May 20 13:59:53 PDT 2008

El Martes 20 Mayo 2008, Ray Van Dolson escribió:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 08:20:11PM +0200, Miguel Angel Alvarez wrote:
> > El Martes 20 Mayo 2008, Ray Van Dolson escribió:
> > > Hi all.  Using Fedora 9 a custom xf86-video-ati driver from the git
> > > repo with a Radeon 9800XT  Using the GNOME terminal, resizing is
> > > somewhat decent, but in XFCE, its Terminal application is horribly slow
> > > resizing.  Definitely seems to be falling back to software.
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I have a quite similar problem, but it affects all windows.
> > I'm using opensuse 11.0 beta3 (which ships xserver 1.4.0.90) with a
> > Radeon 9200SE (rv280), so by default aiglx and composite are enabled, and
> > any window resizing is very very slow, no matter if I use compiz or not
> > as window manager.
> > I have tryed using XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 before starting X but it
> > doesn't help.
> > Is there any fix other than disabling composite?
>
> Can you confirm that disabling composite does in fact resolve the issue
> for you?
I can confirm with no doubt. Just putting 'option "composite" "disable"' in
xorg.conf fixes the problem.

> It'd also be interesting to see the result of an oprofile run, and also
> the steps Michel mentions for me to try if indeed it's falling back to
> software (seems likely).
I'll try to do the oprofile at first, but no doubt it's falling back to
software, as any other operation but window allocation and resizing is
accelerated and very fast, including compiz effects.

--
Don't see the world through a window, be open{source}minded, and be free :-)