radeon driver: google earth not accelerated

Jethro Tull heavytull at hotmail.com
Fri May 16 14:31:42 PDT 2008

my Gcard is an ATI Mobility radeon X300; I'm using the Open source radeon driver compiled for Xorg 1.4.0.90, module version = 4.3.0.

I don't understand why google earth is still so slow. this driver is claimed to provide full 3D acceleration. glxinfo actually confirms that the direct rendering is on.

Some 3D screen savers are actually very fast, and do not eat the CPU resources. but google earth pushes the CPU to 100% load.