Xprint and ttf2pt1 [was: Xprt does not play well with D-BUS]

Drew Parsons dparsons at debian.org
Thu May 15 20:19:11 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 13:57 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:

> % git clone git+ssh://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xprint
>
> Contains a server repo as of a few minutes ago, with all the other DDXes
> deleted, and a rough hack at making the buildsystem work.  Please do all
> further Xprint work from there, and not from xserver.

The Xprt implementation was written making use of a modified version of
ttf2pt1 for some postscript handling. The modified ttf2pt1 had been in
the Xorg X11R6 monolithic source but was left out of the X11R7 xserver
module because it used the obnoxious 3-clause BSD licence with the
advertising clause.

Since xprint is now split off separately, I want to place the ttf2pt1
code back in the xprint source. I believe the requirements of the
advertising clause can be met by acknowledging use of ttf2pt1 in the
COPYING file.

Ideally the ttf2pt1 licence should be updated to modern BSD, but it's as
deprecated a project as xprint itself; I received no reply from the
ttf2pt1 authors I wrote to.  Those few who do find xprint useful (yes,
they do exist) can ensure their usage complies with the obnoxious BSD
licence requirements by acknowledging use of ttf2pt1 when appropriate
(in advertising material).

Since xprint has now been given its own separate module, this will
affect xprint only, not the standard xservers.

Drew