Finding the right modifier ID in a japanese keyboard layout

xorg at henrik.synth.no xorg at henrik.synth.no
Wed May 14 12:40:46 PDT 2008

xorg at henrik.synth.no skrev:
> I've got a small laptop with japanese keyboard layout, like this:
>
> http://www.notebookreview.com/picture.asp?f=27325
>
> To get AltGr functioning, I've mapped the key just right of the space
> bar with xmodmap:
>
> xmodmap -e "keycode 129 = ISO_Level3_Shift"
>
> This works, but as I understand, xmodmap is out of style.  As I
> understand, I should do something in XkbOptions in xorg.conf, or make my
> own symbols definition in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/

Thanks to you guys, I have now created a more functional norwegian
keyboard layout for my Kohjinsha SH6 with a japanese keyboard.  Here's
the result:

I have created the file /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/no_jp with the following
content:

xkb_symbols "basic" {
   include "no(basic)"
   name[Group1]="Norway - japanese keyboard";

   // apostrophe and asterix on Enter's lower left
   key <AC12> {[ apostrophe, asterisk, dead_doubleacute, multiply ]};

   // less and greater left of arrow up
   key <AB11> {[ less, greater, guillemotleft, guillemotright ]};

   // AltGr on Space's right side
   key <XFER> {
     type[Group1]="ONE_LEVEL",
     symbols[Group1] = [ ISO_Level3_Shift ]
   };
};

In xorg.conf, I've set XkbModel to jp106 and XkbLayout to no_jp.  That's
it, no more xmodmap for me!

Best regards,
Henrik