How can I turn off xkbcomp reports?

Brad brad46526 at gmail.com
Wed May 14 02:12:21 PDT 2008

I'm running X Server 1.4.0.90 and every now and then - every
day or two - the following is logged in my xdm.log:

  The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
  > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
  >                   Using last definition
  > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
  >                   Using last definition
  ... and so on ...
  > Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
  >                   Using first definition
  Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

By switching /usr/bin/xkbcomp with a stub I've discerned that
the program is being called by the X server as follows:

  xkbcomp -w 1 -R/etc/X11/xkb -xkm - -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap
compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp ">"  -eml "Errors from xkbcomp are
not fatal to the X server" /var/lib/xkb/server-0.xkm