ATi X300SE - zaphod stopped working

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue May 13 14:06:21 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Tiago Vignatti <vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br> wrote:
> Alex Deucher escreveu:
>
> > On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Jan Kasprzak <kas at fi.muni.cz> wrote:
> >
> > > Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> > >  : Jan Kasprzak escreveu:
> > >  : >Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> > >  : >: Humm, seems that you're trying to set up a multi-card system here.
> > >  : >:
> > >  : >     Nope. I am trying to use two outputs of a single card.
> > >  :
> > >  : Seems that your card has more than one GPU, right?
> > >
> > >        How can I verify it? The board has only one
> > >  "big chip with a heatsink" :-)
> > >

> > It's probably a plain dualhead card with one chip and two outputs.
> > Multi-chip cards tend to be pretty exotic.
> >

>  but lspci would show just one PCI device in this case, right Alex? This is
> not what Jan described in his first email.

A lot of dualhead cards show up as two devices to deal with a
limitation of the Windows 2000 driver model.  Such is the case with
Jan's card:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60
[Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon X300SE]

The first one (01:00.0) is the actual device, the second (01:00.1) is
a placeholder for windows 2000.

Alex