Fwd: what is xid??

Peter Hutterer peter at cs.unisa.edu.au
Mon May 12 04:59:24 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 05:29:57PM +0530, sridhar wrote:
>    hello friends,
>    iam a newbie to xlib,
>    in xlib,  what exactly XID means..what it represents,

a 32-bit unsigned integer (only 29 bits are used for historic reasons) that
names a unique object inside the server, e.g. window, cursor, ...

>    i used xnee  which is developed using  record
>    extension logging the  requests/events/replies and errors too,
>    but my requirement is to have a window id too in that,,,,
>    bcoz i want to analyze how many request/events/replies a
>    particular process[window/client] is raising....
>    can you help me in this regard???
>    i was trying to analyze all the events/requests/errors/replies  from
>    xserver
>    is there any other tool like xnee,

xmond, xscape

>    where i can get from which window the events/request/replies are
>    going???

that depends on the request/event/reply. I recommend reading the x protocol
specification from http://www.x.org/docs/XProtocol/
For what you want to do, you need to understand what the protocol is, the
messages in the protocol, etc.

Cheers,
  Peter