Xprt does not play well with D-BUS

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Sat May 10 13:44:55 PDT 2008

>> Since we're already this far diverged, and everything we do to the DIX
>> these days seems to just break Xprint rather than generate any benefit
>> whatsoever,

For what it's worth, there was a massive flamewar on the internal XFree86
mailing lists when we decided to include Xprt into the tree.  It was
finally decided that we would include Xprt, but that we would not go
out of our way to ensure that we don't break it.  While I realise that
XFree86 policy decisions from the early noughts have little to do with
X.Org, I think that it may be useful to recall the discussion.

In favour of Xprt was that (1) it's easy to use, (2) it's easy to
internationalise and (3) it provides a ``standard'' printing interface.

Against Xprt was that (1) it's a broken implementation of (2) a broken
protocol that follows (3) a broken design.  Oh, and that none of the
arguments in favour of Xprt are true.

Let me know if you want more details.  I'm in the mood for a flamewar ;-)

                                        Juliusz