MPX merge coming up

Peter Hutterer peter at cs.unisa.edu.au
Fri May 9 17:47:52 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 04:24:24PM +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 03:11:42PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > >
> > > they do count as multiple input devices. except that we differ between
> > > physical input devices (mouse + trackpad) and virtual input devices. The
> > > latter are cursors and keyboard foci but NOT physical devices.
> >
> > BTW some keyboards (MS ones) expose two HID devices: one HID device for
> > the standard part of the keyboard (pc105), another for extended
> > multimedia keys. I hope MPX will be smart enough to keep both parts
> > together.

as I said, you can decide at runtime what to do with the physical devices. By
default, all are attached to the same focus, but you can split them up.

if you want to keep them together, you simply have to reattach _both_ devices
to the new keyboard focus. there isn't much I can do in the server, on account
of the server not actually knowing that it's the same physical device.

it gets even weirder if you have a device like the one I have, where the
multimedia keys are sent throught the kernel device of the mouse. But even
that seems to work.

> Kernel quirk.

That would make the whole thing a lot saner.

Cheers,
  Peter