x3100 resume results in black screen (2.6.25 kernel)

Khashayar Naderehvandi khashayar.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 9 16:04:18 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:23 PM, Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org>
wrote:

> On Friday, May 09, 2008 1:14 pm Khashayar Naderehvandi wrote:
> > On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org>
> >
> > wrote:

> installed
> with

> This

> > > driver

> > > Ok, so the console always comes back correctly if you suspend from the
> > > console... that's a start.  Are you using vesafb, intelfb, uvesafb or
> any
> > > other framebuffer drivers?
> >
> > Not as far as I know, but here's an output of lsmod | grep fb
> >
> > fbcon                  42912  0
> > tileblit                3456  1 fbcon
> > font                    9472  1 fbcon
> > bitblit                 6784  1 fbcon

> > > cursor.

> > > restart

> > > once

> > > ubuntu

> utility.

> > > caused

> > > Well, if console suspend/resume is working, it's probably not a
> uvcvideo
> > > issue, since that would probably prevent the kernel from suspending or
> > > resuming altogether.
> >
> > I'm also 99.9% certain it's not. Just wanted to mention it. And also, it
> is
> > possible that the module wasn't loaded when Isuspended in console (I can
> > double check this later if need be). In any event, the suspend script is
> > supposed to unload the module before suspend.
> >
> > > What X driver are you using?
> > >
> > > Everything else is plain ubuntu hardy: intel version: 2.2.1-1ubuntu13.
> > > And
> >
> > the xorg.conf is just minimal.
> > By the way, the logs I caught revealed nothing. I can try to get more
> > verbose logs later if that's needed.
>
> What if you suspend w/o using the scripts?  I.e. from X just open an xterm
> or
> something as root and do 'echo mem > /sys/power/state'?
>
> I've narrowed down the problem to compiz.
For what it's worth, suspending directly under X worked fine as far as
suspending and resuming is concerned. For some reason I was thrown back at
the login screen though, but that's probably not related to this.

I tried suspending (using gnome-power-manager which uses hal) multiple times
while compiz was not running, and that worked perfectly. After a few rounds,
I fired up compiz and tried again, only to be greeted with the old cursor
above a small rectangle of my desktop. After that, sysrq magic got me out.

Khashayar