sharevts and novtswitch

Eugene roginovicci at nm.ru
Fri May 9 11:46:17 PDT 2008

On Friday 09 May 2008 19:20:04 Martin Metzker wrote:
> Eugene schrieb:
> > On Thursday 08 May 2008 20:56:24 Martin Metzker wrote:
> >> Hello world!
> >>
> >> Is there any good documentation on the options -sharevts and -novtswitch
> >> out there? I understand these are used for multiseat setups (I once had
> >> such a setup myself) but who should I ask if something doesn't work?
> >
> > I don't know who is in charge for that option but I can assume I have
> > multiseat working.
> >
> > these options should be used in kdm (the greeter of kde) or gdm or xdm.
> > OK. While setting configuration you have to:
> > 1. Check is your layouts working. Start X with X -layout Seat0 check if
> > mouse reacts and display shows crossection (the mouse pointer). Kill it
> > and start the second layout X -layout Seat1. Now you know your X layouts
> > is fine
>
> done. seat0 and seat1 work by themselves, they even work if i do this
> xinit -- -layout Seat0 :0
> xinit -- -layout Seat1 :1
>
> But as soon as -sharevts is added I run into the described problem.
>
> > 2. Make a symlink on X $ ln -s X X0 ;  ln -s X X1
> > 3. start X while being user1 like that:
> > $ sleep 60 && X0 -layout Seat0 -novtswitch -sharevts
> > but before that while being in root console run the command $ sleep 120
> > && killall X0 ; killall X1
> > after starting X0 (not starting but running $ sleep 60 && X0 -layout
> > Seat0 , 60 seconds in enough to run X1) start X1 while being the user2
> > with $ X1 -layout Seat1 -novtswitch -sharevts
>
> well, rather compicated, but I did that, hoping it would give me new and
> other results. same results. screwed up keyboard when using evdev driver
> and said settings, no keyboard at all when using keyboard driver.

I think there is no splitting of input devices. You should use evdev driver
(at least i do and its working, not pretty good but does).

first of all you have to understand which file in /dev/input directory
corresponds to the physical device.
1. ls /dev/input
Output should be something like that:
ls /dev/input/
event0  event2  event4  event6  event8  mouse0  mouse2
event1  event3  event5  event7  mice    mouse1  wacom@

now test each eventN (there N is 0 to 8) with
cat /dev/input/eventN (do it as root)
this would wait for input device action. If the eventN is a keyboard it should
print a lot of symbols after keypress. If the eventN is a mouse it should
print a lot of symbols after the mouse movement.
OK now you know which  event is keybord1 let's say it event0 than in xorg.conf
put this section:
Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier  "Keyboard1"

    Driver "evdev"
    Option "XkbModel"   "evdev"
    Option "Device" "/dev/keyboard_one"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us,ru(winkeys)"

    Option "XkbOptions" "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle"

EndSection
please mention that /dev/keyboard_one is
ls -l /dev/keyboard_one
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 May 10  2008 /dev/keyboard_one -> input/event0

You are able to make this symlink automatically at boot with udev daemon.
The mouse section is alike:
Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "evdev"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse_one"
    Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"       # PS/2 Mouse
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Buttons"        "7"
    Option "Resolution" "800"

EndSection