MPX merge coming up

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri May 9 01:46:53 PDT 2008

Peter Hutterer wrote:
> The story is different for multiple input devices. Now, as far as I can tell
> this is the first time ever anyone has had native support for multiple
> independent input devices on the GUI. So a number of basic UI-paradigms just
> curl up and weep when you start juggling three mice and four keyboards.

> Any comments - please put them forward NOW before it is too late!

This is possibly a stupid and naive question, but I'll ask anyway ;)

I like the idea of MPX and have followed it from afar for a while (i.e.
I knew what it was and had a peak at some videos a while back!).

Your above comment immediately makes me think of laptops with
mouse+trackpad. These would presumably count as multiple input devices,
so I wonder how the behaviour is selected. Do you have to explicitly
configure them as independent pointers or can you configure them (as
happens now) to control a single pointer. What is the default? I'd
suggest the default should be the status quo (e.g. you have one pointer
unless you specifically ask for more) so as not to confuse a lot of
laptop users out there.

Perhaps this is a non issue for other reasons?

Anyway, well done with the work. It's been a long time coming. As I said
recently, there's always something nice to look forward to in xorg these
days.... I like xrandr 1.2 then the intel modesetting and now there is
kernel based modesetting and dri2 stuff to look forward too as well. Ace!

Col