How to load a per-user xkbmap?

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Thu May 8 23:49:31 PDT 2008

also sprach Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> [2008.05.09.0134 +0100]:
> xkbcomp foo.map :0

Thanks, that was non-obvious to me.

Unfortunately, I am still not there. I used the example keymap in
[0] and came up with the following simple test-case:

  partial default alphanumeric_keys
  xkb_symbols "basic" {
    include "pc/latin"

    name[Group1]="Great Britain";

    key <AE03>  { [         3,   numbersign, threesuperior,    sterling ] };
    modifier_map Mod3   { <RALT> };
  };

After

  setxkbmap gb
  xkbcomp [this file] :0

Shift-3 still produces the pound sterling sign (not numbersign,
which is what I changed), and <RALT> does not generate mod3.

What am I missing?

0. http://www.xfree86.org/current/XKB-Enhancing4.html

> If you've got any changes which aren't in mainline
> xkeyboard-config, please consider submitting them, so we can add
> them as options for everyone else.

Of course.

you can't assign IP address 127.0.0.1 to the loopback adapter,
because it is a reserved address for loopback devices.
                                  -- micro$oft windoze xp professional

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net