Intel driver: increasing the maximum Xv image size

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Wed May 7 10:54:34 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 19:48 +0200, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 06:44:50PM +0100, Barry Scott wrote:
> > I don't think this is required as 1088 is the highest movie size that
> > will be seen.
> > (Ignoring the suport HD stuff that Hollywood is talking about).
> > Are you increasing this to support 1920x1200 screens? If so I think this
> > is not
> > needed, doesn't XV scale from the XV buffer to the rect on the drawable you
> > give it?
>
> on the other hand, I don't see any rational reason to limit XV overlay to
> 1920x1088 while it could be 2048x2048 as is the case of other drivers.

2048x2048 will hit the BIGREQUESTS limit and your movie players will all
fall over when they try to render something that big.

We used to claim 2048x2048, and reduced it when it turned out that
everything out there died above the bigreqs limit.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com