sharevts and novtswitch

Martin Metzker martinmetzker at gmx.net
Thu May 8 09:56:24 PDT 2008

Hello world!

Is there any good documentation on the options -sharevts and -novtswitch out there? I understand these are used for multiseat setups (I once had such a setup myself) but who should I ask if something doesn't work?

Here are the essential parts of my xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "standard"
	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Synaptics Mouse" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "MouseAll"  "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Seat0"
	Screen	0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
	InputDevice	"KeyboardEv0"	"CoreKeyboard"
	InputDevice    "Synaptics Mouse" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Seat1"
	Screen   0       "sisusbvga" 0 0
	InputDevice     "DummyKeyboard"   "CoreKeyboard"
	InputDevice     "DummyMouse"      "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier "DummyKeyboard"
	Driver "void"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier "DummyMouse"
	Driver "void"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "MouseAll"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "auto"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard1"
	Driver      "keyboard"
	Option	    "AutoRepeat" "500 5"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "de"
	Option	    "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier  "KeyboardEv0"
       Driver      "evdev"
       Option      "AutoRepeat" "500 5"
       Option      "XkbModel" "evdev"
       Option      "XkbLayout" "de"
       Option      "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
	Option			"XkbRules" "xorg"
	Option	"evBits"	"+1"
	Option	"keyBits"	"~1-255 ~352-511"
	Option	"Pass"		"3"
EndSection
I wrote to this list not too long ago describing a not starting X with a layout like Seat1. Apparently there has been an update which made this problem go away "xinit -- -layout Seat1" works exactly as meant to work, even with two devices using the void driver.
However, multiseat does not work. When I start X with the -sharevts option my keyboard does not work anymore for neither the standard nor the Seat0 layout. At that, it doesn't matter whether I use the keyboard or the evdev driver. I found out one thing though: if I use KeyboardEv0 and replace "CoreKeyboard" with "SendCoreEvents" the keyboard works after a fashion. I have this strange "up-arrow is interpreted as printscreen" problem and the X process consumes 100% cputime on one core. Google dug up a few posts where this arrow-key problem is described and solved by changing the InputDevice section. I did that, as you can see, but that doesn't help. When using evdev I also cannot Ctrl+Alt+Fn to another tty. The -novtswitch option doesn't do/change anything about what I just described.

I was able to find only pages that are howtos that don't work for me or pages that contain fixes that don't work for me. What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this?

Cheers

Martin