Non-free (?) GLX code under GLX Public License and SGI Free Software Licence B

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed May 7 02:26:46 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 04:56:48AM -0400, Carsten Agger wrote:
> OK, so what you're saying is that if this problem is to be solved, the GLX
> code needs to be rewritten, and in the meantime downstream distros should
> either accept the bug (as Debian and Ubuntu are currently doing) or remove
> the offending code(as gNewsSencse has done).

Yep, this has been the status quo for as long as I can remember.

> And if, as Dave hinted at, this code is effectively orphaned, relicensing
> would be even more difficult.
>
> Thanks for the input. How big a priority would changing this be for the
> X.org project? "Nice to do", "need to do", "eventually", kind of scale of
> things? As you said, it's probably hardly an afternoon's work.

It's definitely on the TODO list, but at the moment we're swamped in
things to fix and actually get working at all (as opposed to working
with a poor license) and have very few developers, so if you could find
someone willing to step up and do this work, things would probably
happen a lot quicker.

Cheers,
Daniel