How to get a fair resolution with Xorg + Nvidia GeForce FX 5200

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue May 6 18:29:08 PDT 2008

I had one Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 working in my desktop. It had a
busted cap, so I knew it was going to die.. it finally died this
morning. Wouldn't switch mode from bootup to GDM.

So I swapped it out for another card of the same model. Now Xorg can't
get EDID info, so it doesn't know what modes are supported, so it is
dropping me all the way down to 640x480. I have been on this for hours
and I need some help. I just want to get back to 1280x960. I know both
the card and the monitor support it.

( www.pembo13.com )