Pointer grabs causing accessibility issues! Why not deprecate them?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri May 2 02:32:37 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 30 of April 2008, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 09:43:57PM -0400, Eamon Walsh wrote:
> > Daniel Stone wrote:
> >> ... unless it's a security-sensitive app like PolicyKit, which
> >> explicitly says 'please do not let anyone else get any kind of access to
> >> input, because I'm a special case application'.  Hence not letting
> >> anyone else get any kind of access to input is kind of a feature, in
> >> terms of actually being protocol-compliant, and respecting the
> >> application's wishes.
> >
> > Except XQueryKeymap and XQueryPointer allow complete recovery of the
> > input regardless of grabs.  Are the PolicyKit people aware of this?
>
> I think the way to go is to just return blank for the keymap/button
> map/co-ords for those two, unless the client requesting is the
> currently-focussed client, and there are no active grabs.  Sound sane?

 Not blank, at least the state before the grab. Mouse should not just
disappear when there's a grab for a moment. Even that is going to break some
things though - KWin has a feature that allows drawing on the screen (e.g. to
point out some things during a presentation) and that would stop working this
way e.g. when a popup is open.

 I personally would not see grabs as a security measure but only as a way of
restricting input.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz