Pointer grabs causing accessibility issues! Why not deprecate them?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu May 1 01:24:30 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:16:00PM -0400, Eamon Walsh wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
>> I think the way to go is to just return blank for the keymap/button
>> map/co-ords for those two, unless the client requesting is the
>> currently-focussed client, and there are no active grabs.  Sound sane?
>
> Works for me.  However if we're going to change server behavior, there
> are a few other requests to deal with:
>
> <opens up the spreadsheet...>
>

> XkbGetState and XiQueryDeviceState: same idea as above should work.

Indeed.

> MPXQueryPointer: same idea here?  Not sure what this is for.

This should just be dead.

> GetMotionEvents: client must own the window?
> XiGetDeviceMotionEvents: no clue - it's a complete motion history dump.

Well, for both of them, just have a tag with the client that eventually
got the event.  When doling out motion history, just ignore events that
went to different clients.  This keeps apps like the GIMP happy.

> I would note that the motion history is an optional server feature,
> according to the spec.  A motion history buffer size of zero is valid.

Optional according to the spec, but not really optional in practice,
sadly.

Cheers,
Daniel