Traversing X11 clients behind NAT (or X11 end-to-end connectivity)

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Tue Mar 25 08:24:18 PDT 2008

Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> Simon Thum escreveu:
> "Our results show that thin-client computing in a WAN environment can
> deliver acceptable performance over Internet2, even when client and
> server are located thousands of miles apart on opposite ends of the
> country".
Even infinite bandwidth does not guaranee low latency, however these
guys seemed to run into less problems. I can't really say I tested it in
the sense of actual results, so be it.

I still uphold there is an impedance mismatch that is mostly by design.
In X11, server and client are coupled much tighter than in web scenarios
(resource- and timingwise). This leads to much reduced control over
client/server task balancing for a given app, plus increased latency
dependence.

That's not to say there are no scenarios thinkable which could benefit.

>>> There's a technique to create TCP connections between machines behind
>>> NAT/firewall called "hole punching' [0, 1]. With the help of a server
>> AFAIK this is now blessed as http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261
>
> hum? I didn't see any relation here.
Well it is related but can not be seen as a successor. Seems I fell
victim to some overstatement.

Regards,

Simon