965G, ADD2 HDMI, Toshiba TV: blank screen, X is operational

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Sat Mar 22 01:59:28 PDT 2008

Hmmm, I may have put myself in the hands of fatality a bit too fast.

Keith may tend to say that my TV may not give me much EDID info through
its HDMI input, at least not enough for the Intel driver to select a
proper mode that would put the TV in a situation where it chooses to
display a blank screen.

Why not? After all, I can't say that I bought the most expensive model,
on the contrary. It electronics can very well be on the cheap side, I
accept that.

But when I am using that nvidia card, it finds all it needs, using the
same HDMI input, and I get a picture in 1920x1080, without anything
special in its settings.

There is a difference in connectivity, the nvidia card has a DVI port,
and I am using a DVI-HDMI adapter, when I'm all in HDMI using the Intel
setup.

So I asked some verbosity from nvidia/X, and this is what it gives me:

http://www.youplala.net/~will/htpc/intel/nvidia/Xorg.0.log

The TV suddenly looks like it is way more chatty.

So what? Is my TV some kind of a racist that refuses to talk properly to
an Intel setup? :o)

The intel confs and logs are still there:

http://www.youplala.net/~will/htpc/intel/

Now, what do you suggest should be done with this extra information?

Thanks for you help/time in helping me get rid of a binary blob, a fan,
and putting me on the path of a driver that will ultimately give me
better features (I'm thinking h/w accel for video decoding of multiple
kinds).

Nico
http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc