Intel G35 with HDMI Video AND audio

Rajesh Krishna Balan rajesh at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 21 18:40:34 PDT 2008

actually, you can get sound through the hdmi interface on the P5E-VM-HDMI.

you will need the latest alsa drivers though (version 1.0.16 or the
latest hg sources). install them, and then use alsamixer and unmute the
"IEC 958 1" device. that is the HDMI output device. To just send audio
over the optical or co-axial output, you need to unmute the "IEC 958"
device. you can do that already without upgrading the alsa driver. the
upgrade just gives you the HDMI output device as well.

unfortunately, I have encountered this specific bug which I suspect will
not be resolved until the modesetting things that Keith mentions gets
integrated.

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=3823

let me know whether this bug affects you as well.

Rajesh