xorg (evdev + hal) and vmware

Vinay Reddy vinayvinay at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 15:44:41 PDT 2008

>  > I'd think that vmware does not read the keysyms.

What you say is true, but I think the problem is more complicated.
Here's an old KB article:
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws45/doc/devices_linux_kb_ws.html

>  > My problem is that I can't find all of the translations that happen to
>  > the keycodes. I see that the xkb maps translate the keycodes to keysyms,
>  > but where do the keycodes come from?

I think having "xkeymap.nokeycodeMap = true" in ~/.vmware/config will
turn off the keycode mapping, and use keysyms instead. VMware will try
and detect your languag (and use the right keymap), but there are
other options listed in the KB article (xkeymap.language =
<keyboard-type> and xkeymap.fileName = <file-path>) that you can use
to force a particular keymap too.

HTH,
Vinay