Xlib vs XCB

Jeetu Golani jeetu.golani at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 20:15:12 PDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to have the ability to write native win32 X Clients (as
covered in the thread native win32 port of libX11).

I've hit into some snags as mentioned in my thread above. I've just
come across the XCB library and realize that Xlib can be built using
the XCB core too i.e. Xlib/XCB.

I'd like to know if Xlib in it's current form is dependent on XCB ????
I realize the library can be compiled without XCB but by default the
configure seems to check for XCB.......what I'd like to know is that
will I need to have XCB working under win32 before Xlib would be of
any use?

A comparision between the two libraries and any pointers that can help
in this endeavour would be appreciated.

Bye for now