Zaphod mode on radeon X1650PRO, X300SE

Jan Kasprzak kas at fi.muni.cz
Mon Mar 17 09:08:15 PDT 2008

	Hello,

I have problems with ATI cards in the zaphod mode:

- with ATI X300SE (RV370) it more-or-less works, except the following
	problems:
	- the cursor on the secondary screen is a square of 64x64
		pixels filled with random noise (the noise pattern
		remains the same even when the cursor shape should
		change - e.g. when moving the cursor over the scrollbar)
	- when switching to the text console, both monitors enter power
		saving mode, so the console is not visible. Switching back
		to X works.

- with ATI X1650PRO in the same computer and the same xorg.conf it does
	not work at all - only the secondary head is started (as screen :0.0),
	and the primary one enters the pover saving mode. There is no
	screen :0.1 reported by xdpyinfo.

	More details:

- I run Fedora 8, x86_64, xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.8.0-1.fc8.x86_64.
- I have two monitors - primary one is 1600x1200, secondary one
	is 1280x1024.
- I don't want to run MergedFB or Xinerama or any other kind "large virtual
	screen" for various reasons (such as different size of my monitors,
	the ability of switching the virtual desktops independently on each
	head, etc.).
- MergedFB mode works even on X1650PRO.
- I used to have Radeon 7500, and it worked with 6.6.0 drivers (in Fedora 7)
	even when switching back to the text mode.
- FWIW, the X1650PRO has two DVI outputs, so I use them for connecting
	my monitors, the other two cards (X300SE and 7500) were DVI+VGA,
	so the secondary head is connected by VGA cable.

	My xorg.conf is attached, the Xorg.1.log file from
the X1650PRO card is available (for the next few weeks or so) at

http://www.fi.muni.cz/~kas/tmp/Xorg.1.log

	Thanks for any help, esp. with the X1650 card.

-Yenya

--
| Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak  <kas at {fi.muni.cz - work | yenya.net - private}> |
| GPG: ID 1024/D3498839      Fingerprint 0D99A7FB206605D7 8B35FCDE05B18A5E |