1920x1080 HDTV display is poor

Yang Zhang yanghatespam at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 13:44:24 PDT 2008

I'm trying to set up my Ubuntu Linux 7.10 system to display properly on
a HDTV that's supposed to support 1920x1080.  It's a Sharp Aquos
LC-62U42C (I believe it's identical to the LC-42D62U).  Currently, my
screen resolution is supposedly 1920x1080, but the display looks like
crap (very grainy/irregular pixels) and the edges of my screen are
getting cut off.  Also, the color is a bit too pale (white/blue).  My
current xorg.conf is attached (it's mostly the same as what the default
that was previously there).  I've tried tweaking a bunch of things - the
most recent additions the final modeline and Option ExactModeTimingsDVI
(though I've read that tweaking these should not be necessary in light
of X's auto-configuration capabilities).

Please let me know if any further information can help you help me.
Thanks in advance for any hints!