Intel ( i845G ) profiling

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 06:47:54 PDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Simon Thum <simon.thum at gmx.de> wrote:
> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>  > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:50:16 +0100 Simon Thum <simon.thum at gmx.de> babbled:
>  >
>  >>> ten i can get onto my next favorite game and bitching about the quality of
>  >>> the rendering ( e.g. filtered downscaling in xrender :):) )
>  >> I hadn't assumed this runs through the 3D pipeline at all. Also, XRender
>  >> accel is a domain of the driver, so things may vary. Does it?
>  >
>  > on the r200 it does go through the 3d pipe. it doesn't much matter what pipe it
>  > ends up going through, but as long as it is accelerated and can draw with
>  > decent quality... that's what we want (and accelerated well, not in such a way
>  > that it's slower than software). in this day and age such accel likely will go
>  > through the 3d pipe using fbo's ad rect textures etc. and thus the whole
>  > texture filterign talk.
>  Thanks for explaining me. I've got the r350 in my laptop. Just out of
>  curiosity: I got it that 3D functions get 'swithed off' as a whole,
>  thus reducing power consumption for 'pure' 2D. Does that mean my
>  render-composited
>  glyphs make the laptop draw more power? (ignoring any freetype overhead
>  of course)

Perhaps.  it's hard to say.  the 3D engine isn't switched off per se,
it's just not used.  I've been working on render accel for r3xx+
chips, but I'm having trouble with the mask (I think it's a problem
with way I'm setting up the rasterizer).  For those that are
interested:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/xf86-video-ati/log/?h=r3xx-render

Alex