Intel ( i845G ) profiling

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu Mar 13 23:39:37 PDT 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:50:16 +0100 Simon Thum <simon.thum at gmx.de> babbled:

> > ten i can get onto my next favorite game and bitching about the quality of
> > the rendering ( e.g. filtered downscaling in xrender :):) )
>
> I hadn't assumed this runs through the 3D pipeline at all. Also, XRender
> accel is a domain of the driver, so things may vary. Does it?

on the r200 it does go through the 3d pipe. it doesn't much matter what pipe it
ends up going through, but as long as it is accelerated and can draw with
decent quality... that's what we want (and accelerated well, not in such a way
that it's slower than software). in this day and age such accel likely will go
through the 3d pipe using fbo's ad rect textures etc. and thus the whole
texture filterign talk.

in the end we can talk about all sorts of funky down or up filtering, BUT what
we need is some form of decent filtering at all. full box filters would be
nice. but ansiotropic with a high level would be a compromise an d give good
quality and be very fast as its a core texturing feature in most gpu's - no
need for fragment shaders etc. of course in future other exotic filters can be
discussed but just some decent filter - just by enabling ansiotropic filtering
at a high level (4, 8 or 16 or more) would be dead-simple to enable and work
well, if you are going via the 3d pipe for this.