HAL and hotplugging

Dustin Spicuzza dustin at virtualroadside.com
Wed Mar 12 21:26:51 PDT 2008

Ok, so I've stumbled through the process of trying to get input
hotplugging work in conjunction with HAL, and so I thought that I had a
good idea of how its supposed to work... except that apparently my idea
is wrong.

I created an FDI file:

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="udi"
contains="usb_device_eef_1_noserial_if0_logicaldev_input">
      <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">evtouch</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

and placed it in /etc/hal/fdi/information (and tried /etc/hal/fdi/policy
). Which, after restarting X and HAL a number of times, did nothing.
strace says that HAL read the file, and I'm assuming that it did
*something*, but the key doesn't show up in hal-device output... which I
assumed it was going to.

Interestingly, I added -logverbose 10 to the xorg command line, and
while I saw lots of other things, I didn't see any HAL or DBUS related
messages (despite their presence in config/hal.c). Is there a sure fire
way to figure out whether that stuff is actually doing anything?

Also, on another thought, how does one tell the driver what options to
set? I was looking in config/hal.c and I didn't see anything that
allowed that.

Dustin

--
Innovation is just a problem away