input devices and hotplugging

Dustin Spicuzza dustin at virtualroadside.com
Mon Mar 10 18:26:36 PDT 2008

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 10:52:47PM -0400, Dustin Spicuzza wrote:
>
>> So.. I've been going though the code for evtouch and other input
>> devices, and I'm still not clear about how one would go about making
>> hotplugging work.
>>
>> The only way I can think of fixing (a) is a nasty hack: have the driver
>> pretend to initialize anyways and wait for the device to come up, and
>> then do normal things when it actually comes up. Is there a better way
>> to accomplish this?
>>
>> If I could somehow send DEVICE_ON and DEVICE_OFF signals to the driver
>> using udev, then I'm pretty sure I could solve (b). However, I'm not
>> sure how to send the signals (if thats the right term) to the driver...
>> though its probably also a hack, its a hack I could live with for
>> myself. :)
>>
>> Any thoughts/suggestions/pointers are appreciated, thanks!
>>

> Hi,
> Hotplugging isn't a driver concern, really.  If you have server 1.4, you
> get hotplugging notifications via HAL, so you just need to hack the FDI
> file to make it load evtouch and not evdev when you plug your tablet in.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Ok, I was looking into this a bit... any thoughts on how one goes about
doing this? The documentation seems sparse at the moment, and the Wiki
is filled with proposals, but no implementation details as far as I can
see. If you could point me to something, I can probably figure it out...

Dustin

--
Innovation is just a problem away