evdev is horrible and I can't get rid of it

pcpa at mandriva.com.br pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Sun Mar 9 20:51:46 PDT 2008

Quoting Sergio Monteiro Basto <sergio at sergiomb.no-ip.org>:

> On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 20:43 -0800, Jeffrey Baker wrote:
>> I'm not sure why but my Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite is
>> now misconfigured.  I changed it in the GNOME control center to be
>> "evdev managed keyboard" and loaded the defaults.
>
>> The up arrow is
>> printing the screen,
>
> Sounds like , that you still set old options, like XkbModel
>
> if you used evdev shouldn't set it
> Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
>
> try use just:
> Section "InputDevice"
>        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>        Driver      "evdev"
>        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
>        Option      "XkbLayout" "pt"
> EndSection
>
> Btw : I think, I saw in mandriva cooker one patch that stops evdev
> overwrite others input modules , made by Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade
> but I don't find it any more.
> Hi, Paulo, I am dreaming or mandriva cooker (or current or devel) repo
> have a patch that make xkb and mouse works with old modules. If have it
> can you point me here ? Thanks,

  I made one patch for that, but it wasn't really complete because there
isn't a way to map xorg.conf InputDevice sections to devices detected by
hal; the patch just tried to guess it, but since it wasn't safe I did not
use it.

  The patch tried to understand if the device being configured by the
config hal/dbus code wasn't already configured, as devices listed in
xorg.conf are loaded before the hal/dbus code, otherwise one can easily
end up with two driver instances trying to manage the same input device,
and possibly 2 different drivers.

  Currently, Mandriva's xserver is compiled with --disable-config-dbus and
--disable-config-hal. And it is server-1.4-branch with some custom patches
and some cherry-pick's.

  The evdev driver can be used, and is used for some devices, but in most
cases, kbd, mouse and synaptics drivers are used.

>> the Print key does nothing, and my compose key
>> (Menu) doesn't compose (it raises the menu instead).  Strangely all
>> the right codes are reported in xev.
> --
> Sérgio M. B.

Paulo