evdev is horrible and I can't get rid of it

Jeffrey Baker jwbaker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 11:25:24 PST 2008

I think all sane people could agree that evdev is terrible.  It makes
your mouse not work right and the manual page is gibberish.  And yet,
it's like the zombie xorg module that won't go away!  Even when I have
Disable "evdev" in my Section "Module", somehow evdev still manages to
load itself and ruin my pointing device.  Why is this?  Who thinks
evdev is so awesome that it should override the user preferences
against using it?

I finally purged the evdev files from my system and look at this crap
still happening at the end of my logs:

(II) LoadModule: "evdev"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module evdev
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
(II) LoadModule: "evdev"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module evdev
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
(II) LoadModule: "evdev"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module evdev
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
(II) LoadModule: "evdev"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module evdev
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No input driver matching `evdev'

What's going on here?  I don't want evdev until it works, and I don't
want xorg trying to load it when I specifically have it disabled in my
xorg.conf.  Is this a distribution problem or is this behavior built
in?

-jwb