Preventing screensaver when playing movie?

Scott J. Harmon harmon at ksu.edu
Wed Mar 5 14:00:48 PST 2008

Graeme Gill wrote:
> David Sharp wrote:
>
>> Can't the client call XScreenSaverSuspend(False) on pause to re-enable
>> the counter?
>
> I'm sure there are ways to make things work. In my application
> I at least try and catch the obvious signals and restore
> screenavers etc., but that won't fix a kill -9.
>
> Graeme Gill.

I don't know much about the internals of the X server, but doesn't it
need to keep track of clients so that when they are killed memory and
other resources are released?  Why would the screensaver suspend be any
different.  IMO, the app should call XScreenSaverSuspend(True) *once*
(not 30 frames per second).  And then either call
XScreenSaverSuspend(False) when it is done, or simply exit and let X
clean up.

--
Scott J. Harmon
PhD Candidate

"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes." - Edsger Dijkstra