GSoC CM collaboration

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Mon Mar 3 10:24:57 PST 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 07:08:45PM +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Ok I understand. You speak about efficiency. Tuning can happen in various
> places.
>
> But I feel we should start with a clear concept.
>
> Once that runs, people, including toolkit developers, have something to
> refere to. Optimisations in advance have the disadvantage, that it's
> often difficult to estimate if they succeed.

Premature pessimization is the root of all evil.  A concept that is
slow-by-design, as is running a pixel shader on everything sent to the
screen, and which will badly integrate in anything already using the
GPU for its own needs (like accelerated cairo) is just a broken
concept.  Not a clear one.

> Yes, thats not so nice. But like with every architecture. There is a start
> needed. As long as this initial colour managed desktop works almost as
> proposed, despite the speed break down on some systems, there is something
> to easily continue.

That wouldn't be the first stillborn X project, that's for sure.

  OG.