GSoC CM collaboration

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Mon Mar 3 09:56:46 PST 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 06:18:59PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Lun 3 mars 2008 18:01, Olivier Galibert a écrit :
> > Where "the application" can mean in large part "the graphics toolkit",
> > as in gtk, qt or even cairo.  So it's not necessarily that numerous.
>
> That would mean configuration hell.

If there is something to configure at the application level you're
doing it wrong.

> Please don't go there. Most users
> will want every GUI app colour-managed if possible, so I don't see any
> win is pushing this in the toolkits now. This is a receipe for a
> painful convergence process later on.

The toolkits should be client of a CM library that's actually
efficient and useful with sRGB (and doesn't mix color spaces, white
temperature and other crap).  Combine that with an extension that
would allow you to tell X "this image I'm sending you is CMed for that
monitor" and you could get a very good result with the GPU only used
when it couldn't really be avoided.

  OG.