spaces in pathnames

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Jun 30 16:30:21 PDT 2008

James Cloos wrote:

> Adam> More broadly, it's probably time to deprecate startx and xinit,
> Adam> strongly recommend the use of a display manager like gdm, and
> Adam> write a minimal replacement in some sensible subset of bash/ksh.
>
> I still regularly recommend avoiding display managers and running
> startx at the vt command line.  /Everything/ works better that way.

That requires the user to be root, or the X server to be setuid root.
It also means that both the X server and the desktop session inherit a
bunch of environment from the console session, which may not be
appropriate.

> But I would certainly not object were the sample startx written in
> something other than sh.  Is there any reason not to write it in C?

That already exists; it's called "xinit".

startx is just a front-end to xinit. That's why it's a script: so it
can be easily customised.