Further notes on 7.4

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Jun 30 15:33:14 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 03:22:25PM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> > Note that almost all of the graphics demos and core font utilities are
> > gone in that list.  Yes, this is intentional.  xeyes is not a critical
> > component of the modern desktop.  Run them if you want, but they're not
> > part of the core release anymore.
>
> Just a couple thoughts looking over the pruned list. I'm not
> necessarily pushing for these to go back in, but just considering both
> sides of the coin.
>
> - twm/xdm: Certainly legacy in the window/display manager world, but
> it seems strange to install X without one of each. Also, the default
> xinitrc runs twm, xclock and xterm, none of which would be available
> with the core X installation.

I think all the reasons I raised in the core fonts mail still apply
here.  People bootstrapping from scratch have a hard life as it is, so I
think it makes sense to ease the load on our core audience of people
building on existing distributions, and just include one more
documentation point for people who already have to follow a lot of very
sketchy documentation.

> - makedepend: The mesa build depends on this, so you can't get through
> a standard X build without it.

Can Mesa package this then, preferably with the rest of its build system
(i.e. in its tarball)?  All yours, krh's and George's good work into
uncoupling our build systems thus far has been brilliant, thanks. :)

> - imake/xorg-cf-files: Sadly, some 3rd party X packages still use imake.

Right, but the ones which still use a bizzare build system will probably
require other weird crap, so if it's well documented how to get a
functioning imake setup installed, that shouldn't be a problem.  There's
nothing stopping distributions carrying them, since they never change,
making it trivial for 99% of our users.

Cheers,
Daniel