Resolution indpendence

David De La Harpe Golden david.delaharpe.golden at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:53:34 PDT 2008

2008/6/25 Steven J Newbury <steve at snewbury.org.uk>:

> X uses the display DPI as calculated from the monitor dimensions and
> resolution.

That reminds me - how is this handled for "new style" xrandr 1.2 merged
desktops?

One of the main reasons I run with two X different screens (not
xinerama'd or anything...) is because my screens have quite different
DPIs.

IIRC, xinerama (and nvidia "twinview", bleurgh) used to unify the DPI,
assuming the first screen's across all screens, which I hated.

So, is there a real per-screen DPI setting now and it's just up to toolkits
to make use of it or what?

[apologies if you got a second version of this, possible
google mail incompetence on my part]