Help me, I want to draw true type fonts in a window

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Jun 24 06:56:31 PDT 2008

Le mardi 24 juin 2008 à 10:40 -0300, Lucas a écrit :

Hi Lucas,

> I´m learning how to program with xft.h lib . I have a problem with my
> first code. I need to draw a true type string in a window. Can somebody
> help me to fix it?

Please don't ever try to draw text directly with xft. Use a high-level
library like pango or cairo instead. Modern unicode text and opentype
fonts have many complexities (mainly for non-latin scripts, but even
latin language layouting can involve complex logic) and if you try to
manage them yourself you'll fail miserably. Even huge projects like
OpenOffice.org are now trying to dump their own font/text logic to use
common text libraries.

--
Nicolas Mailhot