Window manager, how to write ?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jun 20 10:14:59 PDT 2008

Alexei Babich wrote:

> Is anybody can tell me, where I can read about writing my own window
> manager ? WM basics, etc...

Other than "read the source code of an existing WM", the foundation of
any WM is

	XSelectInput(dpy, RootWindow(dpy, scrn), SubstructureRedirectMask);

This causes any attempts at manipulating top-level windows to be
redirected to the WM via CirculateRequest, ConfigureRequest and
MapRequest events.

Beyond that, you'll need XReparentWindow() to embed top-level windows
in a frame with borders, title bar, etc.

You may also want to read the ICCCM regarding the various standard
WM_* properties.